Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Planning Ahead

This past week, a fire really got lit under me to get prepared for this baby.  I spent most of the day on Tuesday trying to figure out my maternity leave (what dates it would ideally take place, what effects it would have on my pay, when my short term disability would kick in, etc.).  Let me tell you, taking 12 weeks of maternity leave as a teacher is no joke.  I have 12 weeks worth of lesson plans to create for my substitute.  It is going to be so hard to release control of my classroom to someone else for that long.

I also took a FREE online breastfeeding class offered through my OB/GYN and picked up a breastfeeding book from the library (American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding).  I'm hoping that having the facts straight will help me be relaxed about breastfeeding.  I am really looking forward to having that time to bond with my little girl.


I started looking for a pediatrician this week as well.  I had hoped that this process would be short and sweet for us, but after my first interview, I'm not so certain.  The pediatrician that I interviewed this past week was recommended to us by both my OB/GYN and a family friend who has been taking her boys there for years.  I also made sure that the doctor would be covered on our insurance.  I went in with a list of general questions that I found here on the Bump.com.  Everything was going ok (except for the fact that I thought the building and its furnishings looked a little old) until I brought up vaccinations.  My husband and I have decided to follow an alternative vaccination schedule so that our baby isn't being injected with as many as 6 vaccines at once.  We prefer the vaccination schedule suggested by Dr. Bob Sears which you can learn more about here.  When I brought up this alternative vaccination schedule, the pediatrician I was meeting with told me that the practice would still see Aubrey and would allow this schedule but that they would continue to encourage me to adopt a traditional vaccine schedule.  I want to take my little girl to a reputable doctor who is going to respect the decision my husband and I have made and not force their own ideologies on my family.  I plan to keep looking next week.  My fingers are crossed that I will find the right fit.

I embarked on what will probably be my last sewing craft of the summer: a circular playmat for Aubrey.  The tutorial for the playmat can be found here on a great blog called Gluesticks.  It's a cute little playmat/changing pad that fits easily into a diaper bag and has hidden storage.  As seen in the tutorial, it can hold a small package of wipes, an extra onsie, and a few diapers around the sides and still fold up to be very portable.  My fabric all came from Walmart, so this was a really affordable project.  I probably spent $18 in all.  Even if you do not have a little one of your own yet, this would make a nice gift for a friend.


One little detail that I added that is not in the Gluesticks tutorial is covering and adding a bow to the elastic closure.  I also cut two little birds out of my excess fabric and patched them onto the back so that both sides would tie together.


Here's my weekly update (excuse the horrible picture):

  • How far along? 26 weeks
  • Total weight gain: 17 lbs. 
  • Maternity clothes? All bottoms and some dresses and tops.
  • Stretch marks? No.
  • Sleep: I have to say I have really been sleepy this week.  I find myself often needing a nap.  I guess my body is trying to load up on sleep now since it will be deprived when Aubrey gets here.
  • Best moment of the week: Finding out that my maternity leave will keep me home with my little one until February 7th if all goes as planned.  I want to stay at work as long as I can before delivery.  I also enjoyed picking up my new glasses (seen above).  I am having a hard time adjusting to what I look like in the frames; hopefully, it will grow on me.  I also found a dress for the wedding!  My next post will have a picture of me in it.
  • Miss anything? Eric makes himself an occasional margarita at the house and he will always make me a non-alcoholic version.  I must admit...I kind of miss the real thing.
  • Movement: Lately, Aubrey has been kicking me "down there."  I'm never expecting it, so it kind of throws me off.  I guess she is preparing me for the pain that awaits me on her birthday.
  • Food cravings: Cereal...I love some Maple and Brown Sugar LIFE.
  • Food aversions: ??  I am not especially grossed out by much right now...just ask my scale.
  • Gender: Girl
  • Labor signs: I think I may have had my first Braxton Hicks contraction this week.  I just felt a sudden tightening feeling in my abdomen that I have never felt before.
  • Symptoms: My feet are wimps; they are sore most of the time.  I have also had some cramping down the backs of my legs.  Eric's massages do help a little.
  • Belly button in or out? In, but a little more shallow than normal.
  • Wedding rings on or off? On.
  • Looking forward to: We leave on Friday for vacation!  I'm so excited to see some of Eric's family and get away with him for a little while before a new school year starts.  I will miss my dogs though.  Oh and I almost forgot....I get the pleasure of taking my glucose tolerance test on Thursday.  Can't wait to get that over with.

  • My next post will most likely be when we return from vacation.  Until then...enjoy what's left of the summer!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment