Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My First Visit

I have a co-worker who recently had a natural water birth and who recommended that I watch Rikki Lake's documentary, "The Business of Being Born."  After watching that movie, I really find myself questioning my birth plan.  I always thought that I would be getting an epidural, but now I worry about the drug domino effect that may ensue if I chose to get one.  In the past, drugs that have been used in delivery were found to cause terrible side effects like babies being born without limbs.  Although popular delivery drugs of today do not have this kind of obviously terrible side effects, how do we know those drugs aren't part of the reason why autism is on the rise?  Looks like I may be in for some serious pain.

You should watch this if you are considering natural birth.  It will either get you more
excited about it or send you running in the other direction.

After waiting for 2 weeks, I had my first visit today!  I had a hard time falling asleep last night and found myself counting down each hour at school.  When Eric and I finally got to the OB/GYN, we found ourselves waiting for half an hour.  Then finally I had my weight and blood pressure taken, got some prenatal vitamin samples, and asked the OB and a nurse some questions.  They confirmed that I should gain 25-35 pounds (I am going to feel like such a cow).  I learned that I will have both a midwife and an OB, and that the practice supports natural birth.  However, I cannot have a water birth becuase the hospital does not have those facilities.  The nurse mentioned that water births are being phased out due to a risk of infection.  Have any of you heard this before?  I clearly have some more research to do.  I was really hoping to have an ultrasound today, but I have to wait 2 more weeks for that.  I feel like seeing that heartbeat on the monitor is going to make this feel so much more real. 

Today is my mom's birthday.  It was so hard to call and wish her happy birthday without talking about my visit.  Eric and I will be telling my mom, my brother, his parents, and my grandparents about the baby this weekend.  I can't wait to get everyone in on our little secret!

2 comments:

Sweet Nothings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sweet Nothings said...

SO excited for you and Eric as you embark on this journey togehter - I know you will be an amazing parent and have endless love for this special bundle of joy!!

PS I think you will be an adorable LITTLE pregant woman :)

Post a Comment